Trillium Falls, California

Trillium Falls, California

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Celebrating Life

Discover. Play. Build.

Celebrating life with Ruth Ayres, you can find her blog here.

This week I decided to embrace the winter days, continuing with "mindful" pursuit, I was fortunate to attend the live performance of the Dancing with the Stars cast.

It was spectacular and a reminder of how music and dance speaks to my soul. I'm not coordinated when it comes to choreography, so I appreciate the artistic expression of the dancers and the fluidity of their movement.

My heart dances as I watch them move with grace, in sync with each other, like a moment in time, paused to capture the mood and the meaning.

This week I am mindful of creative expression and the gifts we all have to offer.

My creative expression this week will be to make a hearty, healthy meal to provide nourishment on these cold winter days.

As I peruse my "Kripalu" cookbook, I am intrigued by the recipe for "cooking beans from scratch". I have never heard of "Kombu" before. Apparently, it adds flavor and minerals to beans, AND "makes them more digestible". I don't know if that is good, but I'm willing to try.
(he he)

I have chosen a "cannellini bean and kale soup" recipe. Of course, I'm tempted to pair homemade biscuits with the soup. That is where "willpower" and moderation will be needed!

Winter in Maine at the lake


16 comments:

  1. I am in awe of dancers too, as it is not my gift. How exciting to attend a live performance! I love the picture at the bottom of your post. It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. Another interest, trying to capture the splendor of a sunrise or sunset.

      Delete
  2. So wish I were close enough to get a taste of that soup. I am also in awe of dancing. My husband and I practice and practice. We have fun but we're nowhere near these dancers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that's great that your husband will practice dance.

      Delete
  3. Love the photo. Enjoy that delicious soup, a perfect winter food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "meeting" on Saturday morning reading about your week. I am learning side by side with you. I will be Googling "Kombu" I absolutely love bean soup. Perfect for Ohio cold winter. Although I am so THANKFUL for the sunshine this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kombu is seaweed, and while it does come from Japan, I found a local variety from the Atlantic, and also one from the Pacific. I'm trying to cook dried beans, rather than buy the canned variety. That's where the "kombu" is used for the flavor and nutrients. It was mild.

      Delete
  5. I love everything about this blog from your header down to the soup. I would have loved to been in the audience of Dancing With the Stars, eating soup, and taking photos with you. For now, I will virtually celebrate your weekly events. I would like you to consider offering your gorgeous winter shot for my Winter Wonder Gallery. You can access my invitation at http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2017/01/invitation-to-winter-wonder-17.html. Have a great day. Would also love the soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I visited your blog and it is amazing. You have some interesting photos. It would be a privilege to enter my photo. I will check. I'm wondering if it is acceptable to put a recipe on a blog if it is published by someone else? I will be adapting it, so perhaps I could do that and then give credit for the original author?

      Delete
  6. You have peaked my curiosity about Kombu. As soon as I saw that picture, I thought of Carol Varsalona's Winter Wonder Gallery. Then I get down to the comments, and she had the same thought! It is a beautiful photo and perfect for adding a poem to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh Anne. I will work on a piece of poetry. The mood has to be right for me to write poetry, but I do enjoy writing when inspired.

      Delete
  7. Kombu is seaweed!! I came across it quite often in Japan, very nutritious, and tasty, too. Creative expression is so worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I found it in the health food store, and I found a local variety for half the price of the Japanese seaweed. There are Atlantic and Pacific varieties. I even found a local seasoning, called "Wild Weeds" that were dried sea vegetables to sprinkle on salads and soups. Always learning and experimenting with new health foods!

      Delete
  8. Reading your post brought to mind my own soup recipe that I'll be making today (as soon as my husband returns from the store with the rest of the ingredients). Your soup sounds delicious. I've never cooked with kombu before. I may just need to try it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your soup, Julie. The soup was tasty, with probably too much kale swimming among the beans, but nevertheless, fortified with vitamins and minerals!

    ReplyDelete