Trillium Falls, California

Trillium Falls, California

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Celebrating Life this week with Ruth Ayre's here.

Discover. Play. Build.


As I awoke one morning, thinking about creativity, this photo I had taken years prior came to mind. I began composing a poem in my head in an attempt to express my interpretation of the beauty in the clouds revealed by the sun's rays streaming through on this sailing trip to a festival nearby.

Tucking the poem aside that morning, I began my daily preparations. As I went on with my day, the poem and the photo would creep back into my thoughts. I realized that it was a calling to honor my creative expression.

When I have viewed and appreciated others' photography on blogs, I wondered, "How do they place writing on their photos?" or "How do they place a © on the photo to protect the ownership?" So I started searching, on my keyboard for symbols, and on YouTube for instruction. Why didn't I think of YouTube sooner? Well, I found my answer, a video on "adding text to a picture in Google Docs".

This question had been nagging me from the previous week, after trying to show my students how to add a caption to a picture on their informational writing piece. We had used Word documents, years prior with success, but this year, students were using Google Docs for writing. Try, try, try again, I couldn't find the "add text box" on the Google Doc menu.

Now, after viewing the tutorial video, I learned to add a "drawing" from the menu, and then add the text box. I also made another discovery this week on "how to" add a voice comment on students' writing. Kaizena!

When consulting with our school's technology director, I was advised that it was an "add-on" to Google Docs. After giving my students the sign-on and uploading directions for their Docs to Kaizena, I commented on each of their documents that evening. The excitement in the room the following day was evident, as students listened to the comments, and were eager to try a suggestion or answer questions about their writing. They reread, wrote to clarify meaning, and elaborated as they wrote.

Reason to celebrate: Igniting students' passion for learning and creating.

The smile on their faces when they realized they had the ability to apply their new learning to their own writing was heartwarming. Appealing to students' creative expression by helping them realize they can blend art with writing, or writing with art to feed their personal expression of self is a celebration.

My celebration this week? Honoring my personal creative expression, and encouraging wonder and curiosity in my students.
(It's almost like the oxygen mask instruction on the airplane.)

12 comments:

  1. The amount of creative learning that is out there is just staggering. Another blogger, Carol at Beyond Literacy Link, introduced me to PicMonkey. I use it a lot for adding words to images. I have to admit, I have never tried doing this in Google docs. I love your picture and the poem it inspired. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh Anne. I will look for PicMonkey. I'm always looking for new ideas, so I appreciate the recommendation. Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  2. Oh Mandy!! Can you feel the hugs :) I had no idea how everyone was making these amazing graphics with print. I didn't go the search though. And now I have an answers. Huge thanks for sharing your learning. I will be checking with our tech help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, you're welcome. I will look for your new creations. Curious if you have some recommendations for mentor texts for informational writing for your grade level.

      Delete
  3. Mandy, I was just going to tell you about PicMonkey when I see Leigh Anne wrote about it in her comment. Your image poem is beautiful with its color and swirls and your poem allows me to share the serenity felt. Creativity is within each of us and now you have passed on the tools for your students to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I sense your creativity in your writing. You have a way with words! It is always inspiring to help children realize new ideas and mediums to express themselves.

      Delete
  4. Isn't Youtube incredible? I spent most of my life without it, but now that it's available, I can't believe we all survived! I've learned how to use a washing machine in Japan, how to fix leaking pipes, how to cook the best stews - there's just so much to learn, right at our fingertips! And it's wonderful to be able to show students that learning is a life-long process, and that there's always something new and exciting to learn, if you're open to learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, how interesting that you are learning about Japan and its culture. It sounds like you are very resourceful. Youtube is full of ideas. I'm learning all the time, when I have time to look, that is!

      Delete
  5. Lovely picture. Beautiful poem. As for learning curves, it's more like a roller coaster nowadays. Thanks for sharing about Kaizena; I need to look into it. When I want to just add text to a picture, I drag the picture onto my desktop (jpg or png); I open it in Preview (Mac) and then add a text box. I can pick font, size, color, etc. And I can add multiple text boxes. Once I close the file, the text is locked into the picture (so be sure to keep an original).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your ideas, Alice. Thank you. I have tried Preview before. It takes me a bit to get the text inserted. I keep clicking and then the box disappears. I have used it so infrequently, that every time I attempt to add text, I'm learning all over again. I appreciate the reminder!

      Delete
  6. I celebrate that you figured out how to add text to the picture. I'm saving your post to come back to later, since this is something I have yet to figure out. And then to discover something to enhance your students' learning! A double celebration this week. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck,Ramona in your creative venture. Enjoy your week.

      Delete